Friday, June 28, 2013

2.2 Reflection: Methodologies of the Online Instructor

When I first began my textbook read of this module I didn't think that they was much of a difference between teaching and online class vs a brick and mortar classroom.  As I read the textbook I have had a change of mindset.  I believe there is pedagogy that is common to both but the definition of those skills has an added layer when you are considering the delivery of instruction in an online class.

For example.... I believe to be a great teacher you must have good communication skills not only with parents but with students and colleagues.  I agree you need those same communication skills in the online environment however, what changes is that you don't necessarily have a face-to-face meeting with your student.  How your write becomes so important as email is the tool to clarify an issue or answer a question.  When you are communicating in a traditional setting you are speaking face-to-face with your student and can determine levels of understanding so much better.  Not so true in the online environment.

The other item that struck me is the reliance on the parents for the younger student as a coach at home.  I am not sure parents know who much responsibility will end up on their shoulders when their child is enrolled in an online program.  The parents need to be willing to commit the time to support their student in a similar way to a home schooled student. Where the teacher comes is is the need to support the parent to know how to support their students.  The lines of communication between all parties must be ongoing and open.

Finally, teachers need to be prepared for the time commitment. Since students attend class on their own schedule teachers need to be aware that they are subject to contact outside of a traditional school day.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a very valid view: the pedagogy is the same or similar with a different delivery.
    Also, you touch upon parent commitment. One issue is that most parents are not familiar with online learning, and their understanding in online learning expectations is just as important as students'.

    ReplyDelete